09 March 2006

murphy's law

i feel pain in my knees and limp for three days.
after getting better last week i catch a cold. i decide to stay home for two days. it's sunny on saturday (like most of the times in new york) and i get out for a little walk. i walk towards the hudson river and get on the hudson highway. the lights turn red. i still want to cross, so i start running. suddenly sth snaps in my knee. i feel a very bad pain immediately. i make it to the other side of the freeway but i limp baaaaaadly. my right leg is rather stiff, i can barely walk. shock! i try to walk around a little on a hudson quai. it feels very bad.
i limp back home and call a friend. i am lucky that she had back problems recently and found out about a physical therapist who treated her. i put on some ice on my right knee. that helps a little.
on sunday my knee is badly swollen. i treat it with ice. my friend shows up and brings me breakfast and pills. i cannot get out of the house, it's too painful to walk downstairs.
parallel to getting hold of that physical therapist on the phone i try to find out if i have travel insurance on my mastercard. apparently it does not cover visits to a doctor. i am afraid that i have to go back to austria to get treatment.
at the same time my girlfriend is having big trouble with getting a visa for the states.
on monday i feel a little better. at the same time my telephone at home decides to break down. that does not make things easier for communicating with my girlfriend in europe.

1 Comments:

Blogger alec said...

listen, if you are serious about the visa, you have two choices:

1. find some very high profile acquaintances in America with friends in the state department in washington.

2. pay somebody a lot of money in rumania to bribe somebody at the embassy.

i'd probably go with variant one. meeting influential people is a worthwhile end in itself. the tragedy of your girlfriend, the doctor, who is unable to visit you, is a very good party story. it should be easy to get people on your side.

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home